o n t h e t r a c k s

Thursday

Affirmation of Biblical Truth

As I develop worship resources I often find that no one translation works well all the time. I lean very heavily on The Message and the New Living Translation, but I often tweak one or the other, or combine several, to get just what I am looking for. The idea for this affirmation came out of The Covenant Hymnal: A Worship Book, but I wanted to start with a different translation and go from there.


Here's a trustworthy statement we can take to heart and depend on:
Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners.

There is only one God, and there is only one Mediator who can reconcile people to God: He is the man, Christ Jesus, who offered himself in exchange for everyone held captive by sin, to set us all free.

This is a great mystery, far exceeding our human understanding, but these things are clear:

Jesus appeared in a human body,
was proved right by the Holy Spirit,
was seen by angels.

Jesus has been proclaimed among all kinds of peoples,
believed in all over the world,
and taken up into heavenly glory.



(paraphrased from 1 Timothy 1:15, 2:5-6, 3:16)

1 comment:

James Diggs said...

You wrote, “As I develop worship resources I often find that no one translation works well all the time….. I often tweak one or the other, or combine several, to get just what I am looking for.”

I suspect that like me you have great respect for the scripture and its intended meaning. By no means do you want to twist the words of scripture or use them out of context, you only want to convey God’s perfect truth the best way you can. This is what I find amazing about Scripture- that perfect truth is conveyed by limited language. The words themselves are only a description of God’s truth, but not truth itself. I would say that the Bible is a good and divinely inspired description of God’s truth, but still written in human language to be understood in a human context. This is where truth in scripture is limited; it requires a common understanding of both the words and the context. The good news is I believe God himself is active in our lives to take the written truth in Scripture and truly make it alive in our lives. Good luck and God bless you as you continue to share God’s truth with those you lead in worship.