o n t h e t r a c k s

Monday

Spiritual Formation

The Ultra Rev (Hi Stevie Baby!) asks for specifics about Spiritual Formation, or Discipleship. He quotes from Bill Hybels:

"How is Christ deeply formed in a person's life? Do you just pour knowledge into a new Christian and does that make them mature? Do you just have them stay within certain guidelines, do you put down certain expectations, do you say 'If you attend these meetings and give a certain amount of money?' Is it external? Is it internal? Is it a combination of both? How does Christ take up residency and become fully formed in someone's life? We're (Willowcreek) asking those questions these days and the working outline of what we're working on is that there are certain practices, relationships and experiences ... that contribute to Christ being deeply formed in someone's life."

Stevie thinks that's a great working outline, but asks "What are those certain practices, relationships and experiences?".



Practices - makes me nervous because it smacks of legalism. If we were talking about salvation instead of sanctification, which I *think* is the idea behind being a disciple, I bet we'd spot it as legalism in a flash. But since it's not about salvation we're willing to let it slide - forgetting that Paul asked in Gal 3:3 -

After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to
become perfect by your own human effort?

But I think I know where Bill is headed and I'll get to it in a minute. At any rate I am not persuaded that, as taught by much of the Christianity I was shaped by as I grew, that x minutes a day reading the Bible and x minutes a day in prayer is the quick and simple formula for maturity - though it's not an unhelpful discipline either.

Relationships - I suppose if by this one means relationships of accountability wherein one lives transparently and is allowing other believers to speak truth into their lives, I think that's pretty much on the right track. Maybe it refers to the believer's relationship to Father, Son and Spirit - which provides interesting material for thinking about the believer's way of understanding God. Is God the big hook in the sky that will snag me at my death and take me to Heaven? (And maybe snag me whenever I face difficulty and disappointment in this life? A lot of Christianity, esp. of the American variety, thinks this). Or is God three persons with whom I have a relationship, and if so, how do I relate to each of them?

Experiences - Again I am not sure it's the right word. Fellow believers of a pentecostal variety definitely think an experience will suddenly confer maturity. I disagree with them.

"practices, relationships, and experiences". That's not bad. What about adding faith commitments and values?

Faith Commitments and Values suggest that there are things that are increasingly becoming important in my life because of what I believe and what I value. And maybe for example that's why certain practices, relationships and experiences have a place in my life - not because they, ex opere operato, have specific worth in producing spiritual maturity, but almost the opposite. Through them I experience maturity because certain commitments and values drive them.

What are the commitments and values? Off the top of my head: Conformity to the character of Jesus. Community with other believers. Worship. A Transparent life before fellow believers. Yieldedness to the Spirit of God.

Just some thoughts early on a Christmas afternoon.

1 comment:

theultrarev said...

"How is Christ deeply formed in a person's life?"

I suppose legalism could crop up and be an issue when you look at discipleship like this. I guess when I think of practices, I think of engagement with the Scriptures as a practice but perhaps not spelling how often and for how long -- that's when it gets legalistic. Regular congregational worship would be another practice but not again not saying where, when and how. The same with prayer, confession of sin, communion, evangelism, serving the poor, etc.

When I think of relationships, I immediately thought of the famous quote from St. Cyprian "He cannot have God for his father, who has not the Church for his mother" (De Unit., c. vi). It is nearly impossible to be vitally connected to Christ and be disconnected from His body, the Church. We need a relationship with the church. We're all given spiritual gifts that are to be used in the context of the church.

I'm not sure about the experiences word either. Experiences as in ... being born again, victory over sin, increasing holiness, ... I dunno.

I do like your idea of values. Our hearts need to have similar heart priorities as those found in God's heart. Values are from the heart and our hearts need to be in synch with His.

Thanks for your comments and helping me think this through.