o n t h e t r a c k s

Tuesday

If you need a passport...

In advance of my trip to Canada I sought to get a passport.

Online I learned that there is a Passport BOOK and a CARD. I phoned to learn the difference and I was told, nearly verbatim, “The passport card is being phased in and is currently only good for Canada and Mexico”.

The person I spoke with left out one important detail: that it is useless for air travel. That would have helped me make a better choice.

Foolishly I decided based on their input to get the card. Of course, when I got to the airport on Sunday I learned I could not get on the flight nor make it to my meetings that day.
I had to get an expedited passport the next day. I also had airline fees related to my changed flight plans. My out of pocket expense due to this inconvenience is almost $300 in total.
Yes, after the fact, I discovered that there is one page on the State Department website that alrets you to this issue. It ought to be clearly stated on any page that references the passport card.
I am only posting this to caution potential future travellers. If you need a passport, get the passport BOOK unless a) you live near the border and will be driving across, or b) you will be on a cruise.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Ouch! Like, really big OUCH!