o n t h e t r a c k s

Thursday

The Apostles' Creed in Iambic Pentameter

"XXV Sonnets" was not my first dip into Iambic Pentameter. I wrote the following as an exercise in the discipline of writing within the iambic pentameter framework. It is both challenging and stimulating to express ideas within a set of parameters like that. This has proven to be a very meaningful congregational affirmation of faith.

I believe in God, Father Almighty.
He created all - everything there is,
He gave me life, sustains me day by day,
pouring goodness and grace into my life
in a never-ending stream, even when
I fail to see Him, trust Him, or thank Him.
He meets my needs, heals my heart, gives me grace.
What an amazing, loving, Holy God!

And I believe in Jesus Christ, our Lord.
He looked down upon all our human need,
Did not hesitate to come down to earth-
Living a life of purity and love,
Offering acceptance and forgiveness,
Giving His life to gain our salvation.
He rose, His power greater than death’s grip.
What an amazing, loving, Holy God!

And I believe in the Holy Spirit,
God Himself, coming to dwell in my heart,
Making His home here, nearer than a prayer,
Offering me strength, bringing me His truth,
Reminding me of forgiveness and grace,
Assuring me that I am His alone.
My life is for you, Father, Spirit, Son:
You’re an amazing, loving, Holy God!

© Rick Lindholtz, 2003

No comments: