o n t h e t r a c k s

Thursday

The Drama for Christmas Eve

I am having more fun with Brian, our Vicar (Student Pastor from Seminary). Like myself, he was a Fine Arts major in college and is a fine actor. Al asked us to come up with a drama that would lead into the message for three of our four Christmas Eve Services (What we came up with will not work for our Family friendly 4:00 pm service designed with small kids in mind).

We wanted to do a drama involving the shepherds, but we didn't want to give away the farm. So we workshopped the idea for about 2 hours on Tuesday morning. There was no script and still isn't, otherwise I would post it. But the basic vision involves two guys walking into a Coffee bar and talking. They've just witnessed something bizarre. There's LOTS of silence between them - the idea can be descibed in 90 seconds but it will play for 9 minutes. They are filled with questions: Does this kind of thing happen at work all the time? (No).That part about not being afraid; I was afraid (oh, you were not...really?) But the funny thing is I am not afraid any more. What does it all mean? And those words... Savior - saved? From what? From this crummy job? From Danger? And that other word - Christ? You don't really believe that that little baby is - you know - who they said he was? (I don't know). (At that point they are lost in silence again until they begin to laugh and just start laughing so hard at the very idea of it all.) One of them says "I'll tell you this much - I gotta tell someone about this". Then they recall the music they heard - how beautiful it was - how peaceful. Finally: "But seriously - do you think he could be - you know - who they said?" "Yeah."

I know that sounds hard to imagine as a 9 minute drama, but that's where we're going.

I'm hoping to videotape it and maybe even have it in a form that can be posted. I'll keep you informed.

No comments: