o n t h e t r a c k s

Thursday

A Prayer for the New Year

Almighty and eternal God; You are hidden from my sight; You are beyond the understanding of my mind; Your thoughts are not as my thoughts; Your ways are past finding out.

Yet You have breathed Your Spirit into my life;
Yet You have formed my mind to seek You;
Yet You have inclined my heart to love You;
Yet You have made me restless for the rest that is in You;
Yet You have planted within me a hunger and thirst that make me dissatisfied with all the joys of earth.

Lord God, I praise and magnify Your name that You have set Your seal on my inmost being, not leaving me to my own poor and petty selfhood or to the sole empires of animal passion and desire, but calling me to be an heir of Your eternal kingdom. I bless You for that knocking at my heart’s door that tells me of Your waiting presence. I bless You for Your hand on my life, and for the sure knowledge that, however I may falter and fail, yet underneath are Your everlasting arms.

You who alone know what lies before me this day, grant that in every hour of it I may stay close to You. Let me be in the world, yet not of it. Let me use this world without abusing it. If I buy, let me be as though possessing nothing. If I have nothing, let me be as though possessing all things. Let me today embark on no undertaking that is not in line with Your will for my life, nor shrink from any sacrifice which Your will may demand. Suggest, direct, control every movement of my mind; for my Lord Christ’s sake. Amen

From: A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie.

No comments: