o n t h e t r a c k s

Friday

Another spin on calls

I'm not ready to compose an essay on the challenges of pastoral calls in my ordaining body, but there's an interesting thing happening in my present body.

In the last year, two staff members here at CTK have received calls without even having visited the church extending the call or expressed a serious interest in making a move in general, or to the calling church in particular.

In both cases, an initial phone call was rebuffed; a second phone call was received and not encouraged; in a 3rd phone call they were asked and acquiesced to a phone interview with the committee; the interview took place; and without any more contact, the committee recommended the person to the church leadership who approved the extension of a call; then the congregation voted in favor of the call - all without having met face to face.

The first time this happened, the staff person flew out for a visit, having already told the committee "There's a bush in my backyard. If it is on fire without being consumed, that will get my attention, but that's about what it would take". And in fact he did not accept the call.

Now my very good friend and colleague is in the position of considering a call he did not pursue. But there is enough respect for the fact that the Holy Spirit can work through such machinations that he is willing to explore the possibility that this may be God's voice.

I pray that God will make His plan clear for my buddy and his wife. I know what my personal hope is.

No comments: