o n t h e t r a c k s

Wednesday

Dad's email last night - July 7

The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I went over after dinner this evening, planning on staying until 8:00 and taking care of her needs before coming home. When I went into the room at abouut 6:15, Mom's respiration was real fast--about 45/min vs the normal 24. She was totally unresponsive, so I thought the end was very near.

Her respiration continued to be rapid, so I just stayed and held her hand. For the first time, I was able to pray that the Lord would take her home. Unrealistically, I had kept hoping that somehow she'd come back, I guess, but it wasn't to be. Things went on like that until just before 8, and I started to care for her personal needs. Just as I was finishing up, I became aware that the respiration had ceased, so I hunted up a nurse to verify it. Actually, two nurses came and both agreed.

I kissed her good night, and told her that I'd see her in the morning. And I felt good that in her last moments, I was serving her in an act of love. I'll always love her, and I'll miss her terribly, but I know I'll see her again.

Love you all,
Dad

3 comments:

Paul Dokken said...

Rick, Sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. I know that must be hard to lose her.

Paul Dokken said...

We have been following your blog from Papua New Guinea and enjoy it.

GreggP said...

Dear Rick,

Love and prayers for you and your family at your mother's passing. Even as you grieve her loss, may you find many reasons to rejoice in the life she shared with you.

Gregg Patterson