o n t h e t r a c k s

Monday

July 27

• What a weekend. Astros baseball with ElenaClaire; Gilbert and Sullivan Sunday afternoon with Alicia. I was in "Pirates" over 36 years ago with a lot of friends of whom I was thinking as I heard and remembered anew all those great songs.

• Several people have remarked privately or on Facebook their appreciation for the video from the service. I'm glad. Some have said that it reminded them of how important it is to use your own influence, just as Mom used hers. Some who knew her were reminded of her influence in their own lives. Some who did not felt challenged and affirmed in their own service to Jesus. Mom would be pleased to know - is pleased to know that even after her earthly race is finished, she continues to mentor and bless others.

• I was thinking about the way music is such a powerful tool. I thought of the 3 songs that were selected for congregational singing at her service ("Day by Day and with each Passing Moment"; "Children of the Heavenly Father"; "Great is Thy Faithfulness") and how those songs (which are probably the same three that were sung at her own mother's service in 1984) will never be mere songs to me. They will convey all the blessings her life channeled to me. Then I recalled the song that I sang to her on May 23, the next to last day I saw her:

"I have a friend who loveth me,
He gave His life on Calvary.
Upon the cross my sins He bore,
and I am saved forevermore."

and to my great and never to be forgotten delight, Mom joined me on the chorus:

"Oh Hallelujah, He's my friend!
He guides me to the journey's end.
He walks beside me all the way,
and will bestow a crown some day."

Then I remembered the end of yesterday's service, when we sang Chris Tomlin's setting of "All the Way My Savior Leads me". Mom never sang that melody, but she certainly sang those verse and would declare their truth even today.

No comments: