o n t h e t r a c k s

Friday

April 4

• OK, I'm a late bloomer. But we rented "Bee Movie" tonight and I cannot remember the last time I laughed out loud at a cartoon - or any other movie for that matter. This is a brilliantly written and delightful movie. Alicia and I loved it and Miles did too. ElenaClaire wasn't home but she'll love it.



• I've been customizing my PC with MAC features. I realize Apple purists like Steve and Don would be unimpressed. But I've just added a program called RocketDock and I think it's fabulous.







It gives us PC users the groovy little icon dock that rolls like a deck of cards as you mouse over them. It, along with the suggestions found here, have given me a much more satisfying interface desktop. I selected this grassy background, which may or may not be a real Mac wallpaper, but I like it.

• Snopes has ruled that the elephant painting video is real, but that the elephant has been trained to make the drawings and is probably not self-aware as to the significance of the drawing. Which is still pretty amazing. I'll go along with their conclusion, though I won't be surprised if someday this is proven to be a fake.

• Last year the "Madhatters" held an event and all the proceeds went to Houston Grand Opera. This year their chosen beneficiary was CentreStage Theatre School and Company, the group with whom I am doing "Annie Get your Gun" in June. So the principals of Annie went to their luncheon today along with the kids who are performing "101 Dalmatians" and "AristoCats" in May. It was fun to try out a couple numbers before and audience.

• My comments box got spammed by a puff piece about Magic Jack (which spam has now been deleted). I guess someone's job is to look for less-than-glowing reviews and spam the comments with an obviously scripted comment. Whatever "Tim L." is getting paid for doing that, it's probably not enough. Chill, Tim. I think Magic Jack is a pretty good product. It just wasn't the perfect fit for me.

• Drop by and say hi to my friends Paul & Laura Dokken, who are in the final stages of preparation to go to Papua New Guinea as translators. P & L were attenders of the church I served when we lived for all too brief a period of time in Washington state.

• My niece Bekah and her husband Jon, for whom I was blessed to co-officiate at their wedding in November 2005, are on their first real vacation, in Hawaii. Unfortunately their reservations were on ATA airlines, which declared bankruptcy yesterday. So my sister called knowing I had friends in the industry. Well, of course, "buddy passes" are only good where there are vacant seats, and all the other ATA passengers are scrambling to get those vacant seats too. So there aren't going to be many vacant seats. I also learned that if you're flying over water or internationally, buddy passes are only good if there's a family member of the airline employee accompanying you. My firned, the wife of a pilot, said that if there was a good likelihood, she'd fly over and accompany them back. Which was sweet. But then her husband said that the other airlines would be honoring ATA tickets. My guess is they want to increase their slice of the creditor pie so that they'll be more likely to get a piece of the settlement.

2 comments:

donnjohnson said...

You're a busy guy and really ok for being pc

Geoff said...

A very good missionary friend actually saw the painting elephants while traveling in Thailand. And we in turn saw his hours (just kidding about the hours part) of home video of the elephants turning out their creations. This takes place at a tourist attraction where the elephants do other tricks as one would find in similar animal parks and also give rides.

As I recall there were three elephants in the video who did the painting exhibition. Each elephant did a slightly different painting, but it appeared that each elephant was accustomed to doing the same painting over and over.