o n t h e t r a c k s

Wednesday

What sticks?

Don posted recently, asking "What do we do in the church that sticks? Maybe not like gum on a shoe, but then, maybe so." He went on to recount "a dinner-time discussion with Martha about what we remember "sticking" from our days in our childhood and youth? We both remembered clearly the behaviors and attitudes of the adults around us; parents, teachers and prominent church leaders (for both good and bad). We remembered teaching incidents; while on mission trips, camping, serving, and during times of crises. We remembered learning some skills about reverence, respect, silence, prayer, Bible reading."

Let me tell the story of the single most memorable experiecne I had in Sunday School.
Classes met in various homes because our comparatively new church had no classrooms. This was probably when I was a HS sophomore and the class was in my living room.

Perhaps 12-14 of us settled down when the leader, 10 years older than ourselves, began his prayer which ran roughly as follows. I am numbering the prayer because it was very articulate and I don’t want to take up the space to write it out, but here is where it went:

1. Thank you Lord that you love us.
2. Thank you that you love us so much.
3. Thank you that you love us more than others.
4. That’s because we know you and your word and believe.
5. That makes us so much better than others.
6. We pray for those whose belief is not like ours.
7. We know that you are not pleased with them.
8. We know that we are the only ones who please you.
9. We pray that judge them for their wrongs.
10. We pray that you would pour out your wrath on them.
11. He started listing denominations. I mean, it was really outrageous.

I don’t know how much more was prepared, because I had started getting uncomfortable by abaout point 3, seriously disturbed at about point 5, and by 9 and 10, I thought “This is my house, I can’t let this go on”. So I interrupted the prayer with “Hold, it, hold it, you can’t do this” … which is exactly the response the leader had intended.

While I was the one who’d spoken up, once the disussion started virtually every other kid said they’d had the same feelings of discomfort. The particulars of the ensuing hour are lost to my memory, but what I remember is that by pushing our envelope of comfort with something like that, we were really pressed to articulate what we believed about faith and prayer, etc.

(The leader told me later that writing that prayer was the most fun he’d had in a long time, but delivering it without laughing was next to impossible.)

2 comments:

donnjohnson said...

Thanks Rick. That kind of praying really does stick!

Dan said...

yep... that would stick!